Where’s Quirkie by Nature?

Hi all! I’m still alive! Just been very very busy. I thought I’d catch up quickly and let you all know where I’ve been the past few months


In early July, the three of us flew back to Nova Scotia for a week to visit. Egon got to meet some of mine and Andrew’s friends and family, see where we used to live, and he got to meet his bestie since conception.

Egon did such a good job flying. Especially since our flight was only supposed to be roughly 3-3.5 hours and it wound up being a 7+ flight. We fly with Porter, and it always includes a quick stopover in Ottawa or Montreal. Normally not a problem. Except for this time when we got stuck in Ottawa due to thunderstorms and a mechanical issue. This turned our 30 minute stop turned into a 4 hour stop. HE. DID. SO. GOOD. I wouldn’t have blamed him at all if he had gotten fussy, but he didn’t. He had a nap on my chest, had his lunch and played with us and the passengers around us. The flight crew was super impressed, and he acted better than some of the other, grownup passengers. He was very much done with everything when we landed in Halifax though, and was very quickly put to bed.

The rest of the trip was pretty uneventful. As I said, Egon got to see family and meet some very special “aunties and uncles”. The best part for me was when he met my best friend’s son. She and I were pregnant at the same time last year, and if we had followed our due dates, the boys would’ve only been about 2 weeks apart in age. Things never happen as expected though. Instead, they’re about 40 days apart. This is a really cool fact when you consider that she and I are 44 days apart in age.) This was also was the first time Egon had met another baby, and he handled it fairly well.

Very clearly my child. The safety demonstration was his favourite part


Life always finds a way of getting in the way, doesn’t it? Once we got back from Nova Scotia, it was a return to life as normal. Andrew and I celebrated our 4th anniversary in mid-July, we experienced a loss in the family, and I had to start thinking about my return to work in September. More about that in a minute.

Egon did a lot growing the past few months. While we were in Nova Scotia, he started to crawl a bit. Now when you set him on the floor, there’s no stopping him. He’s great at cruising on the furniture and is starting to slowly be able to stand on his own. He loves his solids now, and his favourites are oatmeal, teething rusks, banana, and cottage cheese.

Egon had some weight issues in August, and it was then I determined my supply had probably dropped a fair bit and he wasn’t getting enough. It was a tough decision, but we decided to start transitioning him to formula earlier than we were planning, and it was the best decision we could’ve made for him. He’s gotten so chunky! ❤️

Egon and I also started attending a weekly playgroup in our area, and he’s loving meeting new little friends. Andrew and I felt that this would be good for him especially since I’d be staying home, and he wouldn’t be going to daycare. On that note…..

Who gives them permission to get this big?


This was probably the biggest thing that got in the way of blogging this summer. Due to a myriad of reasons, Andrew and I made the decision that the best thing for our family would be for one of us to stay at home. A really big influencer was the cost and availability of childcare in Toronto. We knew we would want to put him in a licensed daycare facility if he did go into childcare and I returned to my job.

However, every daycare has a waitlist a mile long (FYI, I put him on a waitlist in July 2018 and to date haven’t heard back) and the cost is astronomical. A single month in the infant room in the place near us would’ve run us nearly $1600-$1800. There’s also no guarantee that he’d even be able to stay at that daycare after April when he’d have to switch to the toddler room.

Aside from the daycare debate, we also had the issue that we have family out of province. We figured it’d be much easier to try and coordinate only one person’s schedule, rather than to try and coordinate two schedules if we wanted or needed time off. Not to mention that if Egon got sick (the daycare cold is real y’all), that would eat into our time off. With one of us home, the other doesn’t have to worry about using a sick day to be home with him.

With it settled that Egon would be staying home, we had to figure out who would be staying home. Actually, there wasn’t much figuring out to do there, it was an easy decision… Andrew is a manager at his job and has been working toward a job like this for years. He’s great at what he does, and is highly respected at his job. Me on the other hand, I wasn’t really working in my field, I made okayish money, and before I went on leave, the job was really starting to get to me. And honestly, after what we went through to have him, the thought of leaving him each day made me a little sick. So it was decided I would be at home.

I couldn’t just stay at home with him and do nothing though. While we could get away with just Andrew’s income, it would be INCREDIBLY tight, and frankly, I’d be bored. After searching for work at home jobs, I stumbled across the world of online ESL teaching. I thought to myself “I could do this, right?” Turns out that, yes, I can definitely do this. I applied, got accepted, passed my initial certifications, and was allowed to open up my schedule to start teaching students.

So far this job works out perfectly as I can teach for a few hours before Egon gets up, and Andrew goes to work, and then go about my day like normal. I’m not the hugest fan of the early hours, but honestly seeing those little faces in class, knowing I’m helping kids learn, and then getting to spend all day with my favourite little person makes it all totally worth it.

Where I’m at now

So where does that leave us now? I’m slowly starting to teach more and more, Egon is happy and healthy (and over a year old now 😭), and I’m going to work on getting back to blogging more regularly. It will take a little bit of time as I adjust to this new schedule, but I have really missed this outlet and would love to get back to it. So please, comment and let me know what you’d like to see. 💕

See you soon!

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *